Monday 16 May 2016

The Fatty Bao – Restaurant Review

 Fatty Bao Will Make Me Phat

Most of the time I've come out of a restaurant in Delhi being not so impressed with the food, given their exorbitant prices, or being completely disappointed. Not so with Fatty Bao, a pan-Asian restaurant which totally lives up to its name in R.K. Puram's Sangam Courtyard complex . You will certainly stagger out a kilo heavier after pigging out on its deliciousness and want to keep going back for more.

Scrumptious Seafood Salad 
Lets start with the char siu bao, a taco style steamed bread, stuffed with pork belly, green apple and cucumber. The bao melts in your mouth with its sweet smokey hoisin sauce and before you know it, it's all gone. That was the first thing I ordered in the restaurant and it ruined me for any other bao even though they are all good. Have had the duck bao too but it didn't compare.

The second and definitely as-amazing dish, was the seafood and pomelo salad. A light Thai style salad with pomelos, tempura fish, prawns and squid in a tangy tamarind, coconut milk dressing, feels like summer in your mouth and I devoured a bowl on my own. Was contemplating a second helping but thought that would too greedy. The starters are so good that most of the time you don't really end up even getting to the mains.

Char Siu Bao
The tuna tartare was subtle and came with a layer of jelly on top. We also had the salmon carpaccio which was pretty alright though I preferred the tuna. The Vietnamese sugarcane chicken was nicely spiced and the chilli, basil chicken fried rice and smokey chicken (which I cannot seem to find on the menu now) were good too but by then I was too stuffed and couldn't manage to shovel more than a couple of spoons in. As you can see the entire meal was non-vegetarian. A friend later told me that the veggie bao was amazing and I said I'd have to take her word for it as there's no way in hell I'm ever going there and ordering the veggie bao! Vegetarians, sorry! That's a whole different world you're going to have to experience through someone else.

As for the desserts I've only tried the Coco Caramel, an assortment of milk chocolate ganache, and fancy ice-creams and mousses and crunchy bits but was not overwhelmed by it. Am sure there are better items on the dessert menu.

What was Left of the Tuna Tartare Before I Realized it Needed to be Clicked!
Where the food is mostly great, the drinks are a let down. The cocktails were average and they could do a lot better. I would stick to a wine or a sangria or traditional drinks. My prosecco with raspberries was overwhelmingly dense with a raspberry puree which was quite sour and at 600 rupees plus tax was a total waste of money. The first time I ate here I had to return a cocktail that was highly recommended by the waiter as it was.... not nice. Still, the food really makes up for it and the menu is extensive. Am already looking forward to my next meal there.

Mind Your Head!

The kitschy decor and Chinese pop art on the walls make up the light and fun ambiance which complements the style of food served. However, the overhead hanging lampshades with Medusa like extensions with butterflies near the windows got too much for a poor young girl whose hair got caught in one of the spokes and spent what I would believe a few embarrassing moments de-tangling herself before sitting down to enjoy her meal! Yeah, watch out for that. Also, be warned, the restaurant does not allow children below the age of 10 at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment